Trying new things

Today I finished a doll that has kept me busy for the past three weeks, (with days off thrown in). I wanted to make a cloth doll with a much more rounded head than the usual flattish one associated with primitive cloth dolls from the past. My eye was caught by a cloth doll made by Peggy Flavin that you can see on the website of Corgyncombe Courant. She has a nose that actually sticks out. Peggy graciously explained to me that the nose was made from paperclay that was glued onto the face before painting. Her doll was adapted from a Gail Wilson pattern, which uses darts to make the head round and gives it a chin too. I thought that I would try to make a doll with a baseball head and used advice from several sites on how to create my own head. After some experimentation I came up with a head I liked and proceeded to design a body in proportion to the head. After stuffing the doll I added a nose of paperclay, then sanded and gessoed her head and limbs. Next, painting the face. I always enjoy making Victorian doll undies, so that part went quickly. I was able to find roving locally for her hair and created a wig cap and hair, which I glued on. Right away I remembered why I always put on the hair last. Designing a doll dress with the draping method involves a lot of handling the doll, and I was obliged to tie a plastic bag over her head to keep her hair from being disarranged. Her dress skirt uses cartridge pleats and has three tucks, all hand done. Her cap is made from batiste I bought at Fabricland, but all the rest of the fabric for her clothes comes from thrift shops. Her shoes gave me the most trouble, as I initially tried to make them out of leather. Painted cloth is much easier to handle. Once again, I am reminded why the Izannah Walker dolls have such tiny feet. Feet that are in proportion to the body, on a doll, look too big. Another learning experience! I will be taking this doll to the Zimkids Craft/Art sale on Labour Day weekend, along with many others. I am looking forward to seeing many new people, and I hope to sell some dolls too.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a boy doll dress

A little rag doll

Busy times