My latest learner doll

 This Izannah Walker style doll is one I finally finished dressing yesterday. She has presented me with several challenges growth opportunities. Her head was made by pressing Premier clay into a silicone mold I made last summer, letting it dry, assembling it and then covering it with stockinette. I followed the instructions from a workshop I had purchased from Paula Walton. However, I found that it really has very little neck, and when I put it onto the body and finished sewing it in, she had no neck at all! I decided to just plough ahead and carried on making her underwear- chemise, split crotch pantalettes and petticoat. Then I took another really good look at her and realized her feet were really, really ugly, so I cut her off at the knees, made new and better shoes/legs, then sewed them back onto the thighs. Because she has no neck, I researched the original dolls and found several dresses that went right up to the neck. Perhaps my problem was something Izannah dealt with too. I chose one style and draped a pattern for the dress. I found some commercial piping in my stash (thrift store find) and applied it by hand, since that method gives me the most control. Once the dress was on, I noticed that the undies were blindingly white compared to the muted browns of the fabric. Research the internet for tea dying tutorials! The undies stayed a bit too long in the tea bath, but hey, they are undies! I looked at the expanse of bodice and decided to embellish it with little bows, which I had seen on an original doll. Love them. Now she sits on the back of a couch where I can study her and see even more flaws. Still, I feel that every doll I create has a right to live her life, so I am offering her to the universe of doll lovers. Let me know if you want to become her Mum.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a boy doll dress

A little rag doll

Busy times