Cabin Fever

It has been a long time since I posted here, my apologies. I have been concentrating on dollmaking. Spending more time online than formerly, I was very impressed by how regularly Mimi Kirschner posts on her blog, so I have resolved to do better. Most of my current efforts at social media are with Instagram. So, for a quick overview of what I have been up to, check out my IG account, artsofdelight.

Many kinds of dolls have been gestating/swirling in my brain lately. I decided to try a doll like the kind Susie McMahon makes, with paperclay head and neckplate, jointed neck and cloth stuffed body. My first attempt was not so good. Head and body were wrong for each other.



I took the doll apart and made another body and head, smaller body, bigger head. I put together the smaller head and body and am deciding whether to take apart her extra long feet and resew them smaller.


I also got thinking about dolls with painted heads like Mimi Kirschner made in 2007, and decided to try out that kind too. I designed some small dolls with rounded heads (difficult to get it right) but stuffing them has injured my wrist, so I am giving my hand a rest by putting together a small Izannah Walker doll. I was inspired by a drawing of a little girl wearing a black basque. I have looked at many period patterns and pictures and have spent the last three days making a blouse and designing the basque. I made a toile yesterday to see how it goes together and will make more adjustments today. I am a sucker for a peplum! Here is the doll in her underwear, with a shot of the blouse in progress too.


People have asked how we are doing here in self-isolation. In fact, our lives are not very different, with the exception of no coffee times with friends. We are homebodies, really. I cannot visit my grandchildren either, but they live far away, so perhaps we can organize some zoom times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy times

The making of a boy doll dress

A little rag doll