The Outlander inspired boudoir doll

I finished the boudoir doll and am fairly happy with this first attempt. She is proportioned rather strangely, and her bodice ended up higher than it should be, but I had a very interesting time researching her costume, and I think it looks pretty good.
I have always shied away from 18th century dresses because their construction is so complex. However, I sent away for The American Duchess Guide to 18th century Dressmaking and it is thorough and easy to follow, so I decided to be brave and give it a try. I have already researched and constructed an Elizabethan costume. There isn't a lot of difference in the bodice construction. Fashion changed very slowly before industrialization. I was also inspired by the blog youtube posts of Angela Clayton, Fashion Through History, a young woman who makes historical costumes and tapes her progress. She has made a couple of dresses inspired by Outlander and documented everything. I just followed her lead, on a much smaller scale!


 I did most of the sewing by hand, but the hardest part was knitting the shawl. The pattern that is closest to the one Claire wears on the series is knitted from the back up, which means of you want stripes you must use the intarsia technique. What an effort that was! Untangling the yarn every three rows drove me crazy.
The shoes were pretty tricky too, and they look pretty roughhewn. I hope to get better with practice.

I have already begun another doll like this one. I will make use of my mistakes, I trust.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy times

The making of a boy doll dress

A little rag doll