The long hot summer

It has been far too long since I posted my doings here. Where to start? I am showing three of my dolls in the co-operative gallery where I am a member- Kawartha Artists' Gallery and Studio here in Peterborough. Two dolls are in the banner for my Etsy store and one is the Snow Queen that I created for a readers' challenge in Somerset Studio magazine. I also submitted an article on me and my dolls to the local newspaper, which brought me some (modest) fame and a patron who now owns two of my dolls. One (actually two) is the doll that is in Art Doll Quarterly, The Little Match Girl. I'm glad they are moving on to other homes. They need to be out in the world.
At the beginning of August I took part in a Waldorf-style dollmaking workshop given by Fabiola Perez-Sitko, who divides her year between Terrace Bay on Lake Superior and her home town in Mexico. It was held in the Toronto studio of Monika Aebischer, who runs The Olive Sparrow and also is a Waldorf dollmaker. We worked at top speed in the heat to complete a doll using Fabs's methods and designs. Fabs has been making Waldorf-style dolls for ten years and has a wide following around the world for her enchanting dolls, as well as her designs and tutorials, all under the name of Fig and Me. This is the first year she has offered workshops. I was so delighted and honoured to be able to take part in this one.

 Here is a photo of the doll I made. Of course, she wasn't coiffed or dressed until she got home.










I spent some interesting hours researching how to make straw hats for dolls, as we were asked to bring an accessory on the Indian Summer theme for our dolls' photo shoot at the end. I got very excited and made myself some hat forms (online tutorial) and a couple of very sweet hats. 

I spent a week visiting my daughter in Victoria, and now I am back, working away on some smaller dolls and one larger one who can stand up on her own! I think I have an answer to the hip joint dilemma. Will show you her soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The making of a boy doll dress

Busy times

A little rag doll