Bad hair day

I knew I wanted this doll to be wearing an Elizabethan-type bodice, so back to The Tudor Tailor for a refresh on the pattern, then into my massive stash of fabric to settle on just the right one for the skirt and bodice. I had bought a linen-rayon blouse at a thrift store, and it looked the right weight and weave and colour to use for the skirt, so I cut into it and fiddled with the material for a long time, trying to arrange knife pleats, with little success. Decided to go back to cartridge pleating, since I have had good results with them and the look is in period.It made a skirt that looked the way I had envisioned, although it was a bit thick for the size of the doll. That is always a problem, getting the scale right. I have tried to make the waists of my dolls much smaller than I used to, because after all the layers the period costumes require, these little ladies have very thick waists. I guess I am still not thinking like a corset-wearing person.
Making the bodice went well. Chocolate brown velveteen looked very good with the linen skirt, even though it wasn't used quite that way in period. It seems I am making what the Tudor Tailor  calls a "re-creation". Close to period, but with my own spin on things. 
Somehow, the costume seemed to call for more, and I decided to give her detachable sleeves that tied with ribbon at the shoulder. Since many of these detachable sleeves were embroidered, or made from more expensive fabric, I chose to use some silk that gives the illusion of being brocade. I used this silk to make a jacket for another doll, and had plenty left over. It was originally a necktie, which is a great place to look for beautiful silk with very tiny patterns. Scale is important.

After the sleeves were completed and tied in place it was time for the hair. I chose some long mohair and used much less than I have been accustomed to in the past, because the doll was going to be wearing a coif. To wear a coif successfully, one needs long braids that are wound around the head to anchor it in place. I am always nervous when I glue hair directly onto the head of a doll. Lately I have been making wigs, to avoid any gluing mishaps, but I felt confident with this doll. Mistake! Some glue showed at the front of the hairline, so I tried to scrape it off with my fingernail. Disaster! Painted skin and a bit of the surface came away with the glue. There was no smoothing it over, or out. Suddenly she needed to transform from a centre part do, to a hair swept back do. It went OK. Next post will show her with the coif.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy times

The making of a boy doll dress

A little rag doll