Why Arts Of Delight?

I have chosen the name Arts of Delight for my blog and my Etsy store (etsy.com/ca/shop/ArtsOfDelight), because I hope that people who meet and get to know my dolls will feel delight whenever they look at them. Creating them has certainly given me hours and days of delight. I look up, and four hours have gone by, while time stood still for me. What is called The Zone, I guess. Below- my workspace:

About me: I am a lifelong artist (my mother was an artist) with a degree in Fine Art from U of T. After graduation I had many occupations to pay the rent, from accounting clerk, to draftsman, to waitress, to PSW, while continuing to create art in my spare time. Having a family introduced me to time management, which has made life much easier in some ways, with less (spare) time to manage. I ended my working days as a high school art teacher, and have now taken the opportunity to pursue my art full time.
Making fine art dolls uses all the skills I have accumulated over the years. Life drawing has given me an understanding of the human form that is invaluable for being able to achieve the size and shapes I want in my dolls. I was taught to sew in elementary school (back when you could learn a useful skill) and used to sew all my own clothes, as well as knit my own sweaters, so creating a costume for a tiny person is way easier. Experimentation and mistakes are cheap! My secret weapon for pattern-making is SHOP TOWELS! You can cut them out, mold them to your doll, and then tape the pieces together to see if it all fits. When you have it adjusted to your satisfaction, just cut through the tape and you have your pattern! My many years as a watercolour painter enable me to control the paints I use on my dolls to get the effects I want. Any gaps in my knowledge are easy to fill through the wonder of the internet.
I will be writing about doll artists I admire and telling you why they are special. Let me know about your favourites. I will also be showing images of work in progress.
The most respected doll artist in my artistic life is Anna Brahms. I was fortunate to have a three day workshop with her last fall and it has given me new skills and aesthetic judgement, as well as techniques. I was thrilled to have the chance to examine her dolls close up, after looking at their images on the internet. Her dolls' clothing is beautiful! Anna is gracious, knowledgeable, and witty, with a deep connection to nature. She offers workshops throughout the year, so if you think you could travel to see her and study with her in Massachusetts, send her a letter or email. Go to her website or Etsy store to get in touch with her.

La Casati, a doll with attitude, inspired by the portrait by Augustus John in the AGO.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy times

The making of a boy doll dress

A little rag doll